University Master's Degree in Fermented Beverages - 8th edition
The Master's Degree includes three possible specialisations:
- Oenology research: The research track aims to train students to be researchers in the field of oenology and food biotechnology, with the competencies and skills necessary to prepare a doctoral thesis or join an R&D department working in the sector.
- Science and technology of sparkling wines: The sparkling wines track aims to train students to be professionals in viticulture or oenology who wish to specialise in the production of sparkling wine, a sector that is widely represented in Catalonia. This track enables to do work placement in wine companies; with which the Faculty of Oenology has close ties.
- Science and technology of beer: The beer brewing track aims to train professionals from different fields (biotechnologists, oenologists, engineers, etc.) in the process of brewing different types of beer on both industrial and artisanal scale. This track receives the collaboration and support of the Centro di Eccellenza per la Ricerca sulla Birra (CERB) in Perugia, Italy, as well as several Spanish brewers, including large firms and microbreweries, which offer work placements and technical visits for students.
Online teaching organisation
Temporarily, during the 2020-21 academic year, students will complete their first-semester studies entirely online.Les assignatures comunes per a totes les especialitats (15 ECTS) són virtuals el curs 2020-21.
- Oenology Resarch is a blended specialisation starts online in October. Its face-to-face period starts in January 2021.
- Science and technology of sparkling wines and Science and technology of beer are blended specialisations which start in January 2021.
Internship, which accounts for 9 ECTS credits, is compulsory and it is done during the second semester. The internship may be in a wine company (for the sparkling wines track) in a brewery (for the beer brewing track) or in a research laboratory at the URV, a research centre, or an oenology or biotechnology company that carries out R&D (for the research track).
You can suggest a place for the work placement yourself or choose one that matches your professional interests from those offered by the tutor of the master's degree.
The aim of the internship is to enable you to put into practice the knowledge you have acquired in your academic training, thus preparing you for professional practice and facilitating your transition into work.
At the end of the internship, you must submit a written report describing all the work done.
You have the opportunity to go on a research visit for the Master's thesis in European universities with which the URV has a bilateral agreement. For the research track we have a double degree agreement with the University of Bordeaux.
Check the list of mobility agreements.