go to main contents


How long are master's degree programmes?

Master's programmes have a minimum length of 60 ECTS credits and a maximum of 120, equivalent to one and two academic years, respectively.

The duration of university master's degrees varies between one and two years, depending on the number of credits:

  • 60 ECTS credits: 1 academic year
  • 90 ECTS credits: 1.5 academic years
  • 120 ECTS: 2 academic years.

At the URV, you have the option of following the university masters part-time to make it easier for you to combine your studies with your professional and family life.

URV-specific master's degree have a course load of 60 ECTS credits, that is, a full-time academic year, whereas postgraduate diplomas have a course load of 30 ECTS credits.

What is an ECTS credit?

It is the unit value of university courses in the European Higher Education Area. At the URV each credit is equivalent to 25 hours of student work.

What does the master’s degree price includes?

The price includes the total credits of the master's degree and the administrative fees, full time.

If you are required to do any Bridging Courses, remember that they count as extra credits, on top of the 60 ECTS, and should therefore be added to the total cost of the enrolment.

Consult the exact cost of each type of ECTS and the economic items which are included in the enrolment.

Take into account that the issuance of the degree certificate implies the payment of the corresponding fees apart from the registration.

When do classes start?

The academic year starts at the end of September although some master's degrees start in October or November.

What should I do to study a master's degree at the URV?

Check the procedure you should follow at the link registration step by step

Do I have to pay to pre-register?

You have to pay 30,21 € by credit card. Follow the instructions that appear on screen while you pre-register. If you want to pre-register in more than one programme you have to pay 30,21 € for each one. These fees are not refundable.

What documents should I submit for the admission?

Depending on the country where you were awarded your bachelor's degree you should submit some documents or others.
Find out what you have to submit at the documentation

I've studied in a foreign university. Do I have to have my bachelor's degree officially recognised?

It must be officially recognised only when it is issued by a non-European university. For more information, check foreign documents requirements.

Do I have to send the original documents?

The documents have to be emailed to the Campus Secretariat for Academic Management.

Once the documents have been revised and found to be correct you will receive an email telling you where you have to send the original documents to complete the registration.

How do I know if I have been admitted?

The Academic Comission will assess your admission after the end of each pre-registration phase. Check the calendar for pre-registration, admission and registration.

You will receive an email informing you if you have been admitted or excluded. In your document manager you can check your admission status. For more information, read step four of the website How to enrol in a master's degree step by step: admission.

I'm an international student and I need an admission letter, how can I have it?

If you are a prospective foreign student, you will be able to download the admission letter from your online document manager once you have been admitted and have paid to reserve your place.

If you have any questions, please contact with your Campus Secretariat for Academic Management.

I'm an international student. How can I obtain a student Visa to study in Spain?

Guide to obtain the student Visa.

When can I register?

Once you have been admitted by the master's academic committee, consult the calendar for pre-registration, admission and registration to master’s degree.

How do I register?

Registration is online on the URV website.

How do I pay the tuition fees?

Check at Methods of paying the registration fees

When do I have to pay the tuition fees?

Check at Methods of paying the registration fees

Can I pay in instalments?

Check at Methods of paying the registration fees

What grants can I apply for?

Check the grants and prices website

I am an International student, who may I ask if I have questions about foreign students procedures?

You can contact our International Center(ELIMINAR). They will help you in any issue you may have.

Visit the International Center’s website to find out all you need to know.

I've finished the master's degree. How can I apply for my maste'rs degree certificate?

You must submit your application to the Online Secretariat using the Online procedures of the Intranet where you must first check if you can request the issuance of the certificate. Follow step by step the Administrative procedure: Issuance of degree certificate and European Supplement.

What is the difference between a university master's degree, a URV-specific master's degree and a postgraduate diploma?

At the URV, as at all other universities in Spain, degrees are classified in three levels: bachelor's degree, master's/postgraduate degree and doctoral degree.

At the second level, the URV primarily offers two types of degree:

Official university master's degrees

University master's degrees are official qualifications that are fully integrated into the European Higher Education Area and offer high-level specialized training that will enable you to increase your job opportunities. In addition, many are oriented towards acquiring research skills given that a university master's degree is a prerequisite for access to a doctoral programme.

To access a university master's degree you must have a bachelor's degree or equivalent.

URV-specific master's degrees and postgraduate diplomas

URV-specific masters and postgraduate diplomas enable students to obtain a degree from the URV in accordance with the legislation on postgraduate studies and lifelong learning.

These degrees are designed to respond to the specific needs of the socio-economic sectors in your area and enable you to specialize and professionalize. These programmes also enable you to combine your studies with your job.

Recognition of these degrees depends on the country, institution or company to which they are presented. Companies attach particular value to the prestige of the programme and the skills it provides, which match the profiles that they are looking for.

The difference between a master's degree and a postgraduate diploma is the length of the course. Master's degrees have a course load of 60 ECTS credits, whereas postgraduate diplomas have a course load of 30 ECTS credits.

These master's degrees may be accessed by students who do not hold a bachelor's degree and who, when they complete their studies, are awarded a certificate of achievement.

If I am admitted to a master's course pending accreditation of my access qualification, can I still register anyway?

No. You must provide the certificate of the qualification that gives you access to the master's course or provide a document confirming that you have paid for the issuance of this certificate, in accordance with the instructions that the Campus Secretariat for Academic Management send you by email when they inform you that you have the status of 'Admitted pending accreditation of access qualification' in your pre-registration application.

There is an exception for those students that are about to finish a Spanish Bachelor’s degree: exceptionally, in September they can apply for registration access, although they do not have still passed the bachelor’s final thesis and 9 ECTS only. In this case, they could registrate depending on the number of available places.

What can I do to guarantee myself a place on the master's degree?

If you are admitted during the 1st or 2nd phase and you want to guarantee yourself a place on the master's degree, you must reserve it by paying 400 euros in advance. This amount will be deducted from the registration fee later.