go to main contents

Translation of academic documents

  • Generally speaking, the documentation submitted to the URV must be in Catalan, Spanish, English,* French,* Portuguese* or Italian.* However, the degree/diploma that gives you access to the university master’s degree must be a sworn translation into Catalan or Spanish if this document was issued in another language.

    *If we have any doubts when we check the documents issued in these languages, we may require you to present a translation.

Documents issued in other languages must be translated into Catalan or Spanish when you apply for admission to a master’s degree.

Send your legalised and translated documentation via the document manager. When you receive confirmation that this documentation meets the requirements, you can make the attested photocopies and send them by postal mail or you can go in person to the Campus Secretariat where they will make attested copies for you.

IMPORTANT: Please bear in mind the translation requirements when you ask for your certificates to be issued by your university. If you can be provided with these documents in one of these languages, there will be no need for them to be translated at a later date.

How must the translation be done?

The translation of your degree/diploma must be official. There are three ways of carrying out a translation if it is to have official validity:

  • Translation by legally sworn translator/interpreter registered in Spain

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation in Spain authorises sworn translators/interpreters to do sworn translations.

You can find a list of all practising sworn translators in the "Current List of Sworn Translators-Interpreters". You can get in touch with them by e-mail and they will tell you what you have to do if you need a translation.

IMPORTANT: The translation must be stamped by the interpreter/translator. Ensure that the translator you choose is registered on the list issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation!

  • Translation by any Spanish embassy or consulate abroad or translation by an embassy or consulate located in Spain of the country where the document was issued.

The embassies and consulates of the countries where the documents were issued or are to be presented can translate or validate translations.

Embassies and consulates do not normally provide a translation service. Normally they certify the "accuracy" of translations done by others. In any case, the embassy or consulate that translates or validates the translation has to certify that it is correct and accurate. The document is normally stamped as an indication that it has been thus certified.

If you need a translation of this sort, go to a Spanish embassy or consulate and ask about how to have a certified translation done. Follow the procedure that they tell you there.

See an example of an embassy/consulate translation

WARNING: Translations that only have the diplomatic legalisation of the translator's signature are not valid.

NOTE: This sort of translation is valid for any other procedure that you have to carry out with the Spanish public authorities. Therefore, we recommend that you send the URV an attested copy of the translation and an attested copy of the original. Make sure that you keep the original documents in case you need to use the translation in the future.

  • Official translator who is not on the list of translators approved by the Spanish Ministry for Foreign Affairs and Cooperation and whose signature has been duly legalized.