Service Learning Experiences in the Bachelor's Degree in Law
- Fourth-year courses
- Practicum - Environmental law clinic
- Practicum – Platform in defense of the Ebro
- Final Degree Project - Civil liability arising from environmental crime
- Final Degree Project - Legal report on the Detention Centers for Foreigners
- Final Degree Project - Preventing feminine genital mutilation
- Final Degree Project - Self-regulation of URV Social Orchards
- Final Degree Project - Social movements and law
- Final Project – Survey on the execution of civic liability on the part of convicted criminals in the penitentiary and judicial fields
- Final Degree Project - Aplication of the UN convention on tutelary entities
- Final Degree Project - Legal framework for action for professionals working with young people at risk of social exclusion
- Final Degree Project - Creation of interdisciplinary training materials to improve access to housing (Housing+)
- Final Degree Project - Consumer associations as an interested party in the complaints processed in the common administrative procedure of public administrations
- Final Degree Thesis - Diagnosis of the reasons that prevent complaints of discrimination
Practicum - Environmental Law Clinic
- Coordination: Aitana de la Varga (aitana.delavarga(ELIMINAR)@urv.cat) i Elisabet Cerrato Guri (elisabet.cerrato(ELIMINAR)@urv.cat)
- Summary: One of the places where Law students can do their work experience programme is CEDAT, the Tarragona Centre for Environmental Law Studies, which contains the Environmental Law Clinic. In the field of Law, one of the most common types of international service learning programme is Clinical Legal Education, a global movement for social justice that involves students and teachers from all over the world. The services offered by students under the supervision of the institution's teaching staff include: the writing of legal reports and statements, the writing of local legislative proposals, and conciliation and mediation in environmental matters. Between the academic years 2005-2006 and 2017-2018, the Environmental Law Clinic worked on a total of 55 cases for 30 clients. The Environmental Law Clinic received the 2007 URV Council group award for teaching quality. It is a member of the Network of Environmental Law Clinical Programs and the IUCN Academy of Environmental Law.
2007: Award of the Social Council of the URV to the Teaching Quality. Collective modality.
2018: Award of the Social Council of the URV to the Teaching Quality for the project Social Gardens at the URV: The environmental education to the social innovation. Collective modality coordinated by professorsÁngeles Galiana Saura, Maria Marqués Banqué and Susana Borràs Pentinat.
2018: Project award-winning with the distinction Jaume Vicens Vives to the Universitary Teaching Quality of the Generalitat de Catalunya for the project Social Gardens: Environmental education to the social innovation. Collective modality.
- More information: http://www.cedat.cat/ca/clinica/index.php
Practicum – Platform in defense of the Ebro
- Coordination: Susana Borràs Pentinat (susana.borras(ELIMINAR)@urv.cat)
- Community organization: Defensa de l’Ebre Plataform
- Summary: The student worked the academic year 2015-16 with URV's work team in the wording of the second complaint that the platform presented to the European Commission against the Hydrological Plan of the Ebro. The student has applyed their knowledge of law to the benefit of the aforementioned entity developing the legal arguments necessary for the protection of the river Ebro and the defense of the interests of this social non-profit entity.
Final Degree Project - Legal report on Detention Centers for Foreigners
- Coordination: Víctor Merino (victor.merino(ELIMINAR)@urv.cat)
- Community organization: Cierre de los CIEs Plataform
- Summary: The final project was conducted within the framework of an inter-university programme, the aims of which were to prepare a report on the reasons why detainees at Spanish detention centres for foreigners (CIEs) have been held or identified and to evaluate the conditions under which they are detained (possible infringement of rights, ethnic profiling, etc.). This report is prepared at the request of NGOs that are members of the Plataforma pel Tancament dels CIEs (Platform for the Closure of the CIEs). The universities participating in the programme are the University of Valencia, the Complutense University of Madrid, the University of Alcalá, the University of Barcelona, and the Rovira i Virgili University (URV). At the URV, three undergraduate Law students are preparing this report for their final project in the academic year 2012-13.
Final Degree Project - Socials movements and law
- Coordination: Aitana de la Varga (aitana.delavarga(ELIMINAR)@urv.cat)
- Community organization: Cultural Action Association Despertaferro
- Summary: This project of the academic year 2014-15 studies the municipal, regional or state legislation affecting the daily lives of people, and especially social movements. The aim was to write a guide with directions and indications.
Final Degree Project - Civil liability arising from environmental crime
- Coordination: Maria Marquès i Banqué (maria.marques(ELIMINAR)@urv.cat)
- Community organization: FlixNet Platform
- Summary: The case of Flix contamination has been the subject of different legal actions in the past. The environmental legal clinic of the URV assumes the task of the Flixnet Platform, the 2016-2017 course, to draw up a "legal map" of the situation, analyzing the actions carried out to date, legal arguments and legal channels open. The work is linked to this task and counts on the collaboration of the Ter Defense Group, an environmental entity in charge of executing civil liability aimed at repairing the damage.
Final Degree Project - Self-regulation of URV Social Orchards
- Coordination: Àngels Galiana Saurà (angels.galiana(ELIMINAR)@urv.cat)
- Community organization: Horts Socials URV.
- Summary: The URV Social Orchards were created to highlight the social responsibility for protecting and enhancing the environment. Their starting points were the respect and commitment of the whole community and the special involvement of the URV. The philosophy of the Orchards is adequate management of resources and the raising of awareness within the community regarding the socioenvironmental principles of ecology, solidarity and food sovereignty. To keep the project active and allow it to grow, we had created the Campus Bellissens orchards, where we aim to create a strong community based on the values outlined in our philosophy, which will be enshrined in our regulations. The self-regulatory capacity of our organization enabled us to draft a preliminary statute in the academic year 2017-18 that was debated for approval before the whole community and with the participation of everyone involved.
Final Degree Project - Preventing feminine genital mutilation
- Coordination: Àngels Galiana Saurà (angels.galiana(ELIMINAR)@urv.cat)
- Community organization: Wassu UAB Fundation
- Summary: The Wassu-UAB Foundation is an international scientific organisation that acts to prevent female genital mutilation (FGM) through anthropological and medical research applied to the transfer of knowledge.
The assistance that can be offered to the Foundation from the legal perspective is important for proposing more suitable legislative and judicial techniques for preventing FGM. In this context we proposed in the academic year 2017-18 a study of the legal application of the principle of extraterritoriality in the practice of MGF and in the reunification of the girls involved.
Final Degree Project - Survey on the execution of civic liability on the part of convicted criminals in the penitentiary and judicial fields
- Coordination: Maria Marquès i Banqué (maria.marques(ELIMINAR)@urv.cat)
- Community organization: Mas d'Enric Penitentiary
- Summary: The Mas d'Enric Penitentiary has expressed a need to analyse the execution of civil liability on the part of convicted criminals in the penitentiary and judicial fields in order to find ways to improve their condition that may benefit victims and the reinsertion of offenders. For this project of the 2017-18, implementations have been analysed in the legal sphere from interviews with responsible parties and in the penitentiary sphere from interviews with the community of the Mas d'Enric penitentiary.
Final Degree Project - Aplication of the UN’s convention in the tutelary entities
- Coordination: Marcel Mateu (marecl.mateu(ELIMINAR)@urv.cat)
- Community organization: La Tutela
- Summary: For this project of the 2018-19, students analysed the implications on a tutelary entity of the change in paradigm with respect to people with disabilities after Spain's ratification of the UN convention on the rights of these individuals. The previous system was based on 'replacing' the will of people with disabilities, whereas the current system is based on accompaniment and support in the free exercise of their legal capacity and fundamental rights. The main aim is to make proposals and set objectives for the entity that will help to achieve this model of free exercise of rights.
Final Degree Project - Legal framework for action for professionals working with young people at risk of social exclusion
- Coordination: Xavier Capilla Mendia (xavier.capilla(ELIMINAR)@urv.cat)
- Community organization: Noves Oportunitats Center.
- Summary:The proposed work related to the Conflict Resolution instrument is linked to the needs of an entity such as the CNO of Tarragona, the result of its experience and scope of action such as helping young people in between 16 and 24 years at risk of social exclusion. It is therefore considered as a task of advice and individualized indications that can crystallize into an effective protocol so that the entity can have instructions on how to act in certain conflict situations for which it does not currently have a reference figure to be consulted on legal aspects.
The technical contribution that can be made from a legal perspective is especially relevant because, on the one hand, it is a question of being able to evaluate the specific problems of these entities towards the treatment of criminal cases involving people under their jurisdiction. surveillance and supervision, some of which are underage, and possible obligations to act, respond, and cooperate with justice. Special attention will be paid to the effects of victimization.
At the same time, it is a clear opportunity to be able to critically and technically assess the proposals for legal intervention that must be made in each case given the special sensitivity in environments of exclusion regarding the potential stigmatizing effect of crime and the intervention of justice.
It is therefore a matter of combining the tasks of observation, identification and intervention together with the task of prevention and previous intervention.
Final Degree Project - Creation of interdisciplinary training materials to improve access to housing (Housing+)
- Coordination: Sergio Nasarre Aznar (sergio.nasarre(ELIMINAR)@urv.cat)
- Community organization: Iberoamericana del Conocimiento Foundation
- Summary: End of Degree thesis for the year 2022-2023. In it, the students will have to study and specialize in the subject of a chapter of the housing manual that will be facilitated by the URV professors to be able to delve deeper into the topics covered (social housing, homelessness, mortgage loan, construction, evictions, etc.). Subsequently, they must design a set of questions with two possible answers that have an impact on professionals related to the world of housing and real estate, which consequently affects the people who receive their services. For this reason, it is an activity with a high social impact, since it is the first game with interdisciplinary content aimed at professionalizing the housing sector and promoting access to decent and adequate housing. In the final report they will explain the chosen topic and the experience. The materials provided are from the GECON foundation and digital platform. The students will also have a certificate of participation attesting to their collaboration in the preparation of these materials for the European Housing+ project and the Housing Studies course, as well as predictably reserved places in the course when it starts.
Final Degree Project - Consumer associations as an interested party in the complaints processed in the common administrative procedure of public administrations
- Coordination: Lucía Casado Casado (lucia.casado(ELIMINAR)@urv.cat)
- Community organization: Consumidores y Usuarios de Catalunya Intercomarcal Association
- Summary: This End of Degree project has been developed in the 2022-2023 academic year. In it, the entity highlights the following problem that it encounters on a recurring basis: "We submit complaints to various administrations when we detect products or services purchased by associated persons, which do not comply with current regulations. As they are not considered part interested party, we are not notified of the resolution. We want to know the administrative resolution, to improve the defense of the affected person, as well as that of the general interest of the consumer." Faced with this situation, he requests "a legal report on how to request to be an interested party and, therefore, notified of the action taken by the administration as a result of our complaint. Article 4.2 Interested concept of the law 39 /2015, already establishes that the associations and organizations representing economic and social interests will be holders of legitimate interests in the terms recognized by law".
Final Degree Thesis - Diagnosis of the reasons that prevent complaints of discrimination
- Coordination: Àngels Galiana Saura (angels.galiana(ELIMINAR)@urv.cat)
- Community organization: Atzavara Arrels
- Summary: This Final Degree Thesis for the 2022-2023 academic year deals with the analysis of racial discrimination in Terres de l'Ebre. Diagnosis of the state of the issue and proposed solutions, especially at a legal level.
To make the diagnosis, it is necessary to contextualize the problem with a data analysis: current situation, evolution of society in recent years, reasons for discrimination and hate crimes, degree of integration of foreigners, discrimination of descendants of 'immigrants who were born in Terres de l'Ebre.
To make the report, the analysis of legislation and jurisprudence on racial discrimination is needed. Its final elaboration consists of solutions.