PhD Programme: Economics and Business
Research group: MARFINAN – Mercats i Anàlisi Financera
Supervisors: Xavier Cámara-Turull & Xiaoni Li
Yaghoub Abdi did his bachelor degree in Business Economics from Lorestan University, Iran. Then, he proceed on the journey to fulfill his Master degree in Economic Sciences from University of Sistan and Baluchestan, also in Iran. His master thesis was about measuring competition in Iranian banking industry. This experience aided him in gaining invaluable knowledge in fields of firm performance, profitability and market structure within the context of banking industry. After the master, he worked for Iran Water and Power Resources Development Company until the time he applied for the MFP-COFUND grant.
Project: Firm value and performance analysis: Impact and implications of implementing sustainability initiatives for the airline industry
This doctoral thesis focuses on the study of the association between firm value and financial performance (FP) and sustainability initiatives in the airline industry. Firm value is an important consideration in the financial attitude of stakeholders. It has been claimed that contribution to environmental, social and governance (ESG) initiatives functions as a value driver factor for firms and assist to maximizing shareholders' benefits. Air transport has been considered as one of the most popular and rapidly growing industries, offering a broad range of services across the globe. However, the industry is considered one of the most challenging industries in term of environmental and social issues due to its significant CO2 emission (roughly 2% of total mankind emission) and impact on a broad range of people including its customers and employers. Surprisingly, the current literature lacks the comprehensive study on the topic. The general objective was to address the existing gap in how contribution to ESG practices influence airlines' value and performance and the other way around (how airlines' characteristics could impact its willing to implement ESG practices).
Open Access publications
- Abdi Y, Li X, Càmara-Turull X. Impact of Sustainability on Firm Value and Financial Performance in the Air Transport Industry. Sustainability. 2020; 12(23): 9957. View full-text
- Abdi Y, Li X, Càmara-Turull X. Exploring the impact of sustainability (ESG) disclosure on firm value and financial performance (FP) in airline industry: the moderating role of size and age. Environment, Development and Sustainability. 2021. View full-text
- Abdi Y, Li X, Càmara-Turull X. How financial performance influences investmentin sustainable development initiatives in the airlineindustry: The moderation role of state-ownership. Sustainable Development. 2022;1-16. View full-text
- PHD THESIS: Firm value and performance analysis: Impact and implications of implementing sustainability initiatives for the airline industry
- European Researchers’ Night 2020: “Queuing: wait and despair!”.
- Penn State University, USA. 3 months (2021).