PhD Programme: Educational Technology
Research group: ARGET
Supervisors: Mireia Usart Rodríguez & Vanessa Esteve González
Despoina Schina holds a Bachelor's degree in English Language and Literature from Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (Greece) and a Master's in Educational Technology from Universitat of Rovira i Virgili (URV). She is a PhD student at URV and a member of the research group ARGET - Applied Research Group in Education and Technology. Despoina's research interests include: teacher training in Educational Robotics (ER), teacher perceptions of ER, teacher digital competence, gender digital divide and robotics competitions. Despoina has participated in several international and local conferences, such as VI Seminario Interuniversitario de Investigación en Tecnología Educativa (Ibiza), Jornada d'Investigadors Predoctorals Interdisciplinària (Barcelona), III Congreso Virtual Internacional de Educación, Innovación y TIC, 10th International Conference on Robotics in Education (Austria), 11th International Conference on Computer Supported Education (Greece), VII Seminario Interuniversitario de Investigación en Tecnología Educativa (Lleida), 12th International Conference on Computer Supported Education (online), 11th International Conference on Robotics in Education (online), XVIII Jornadas de Redes de Investigación en Docencia Universitaria (online) and III Jornada d'Innovació i Robòtica Educativa amb perspectiva de Gènere (online).
Project: Teacher training in educational robotics: participants' learning and perceptions
Educational Robotics is gaining popularity among students and teachers in all educational fields and levels. To address the demand for learning and teaching educational robotics from a solid pedagogical background, it is important to further look into how students actually learn with educational robotics and how teachers are expected to teach educational robotics. Educational Robotics needs to be further examined as a pedagogical resource and so need the opportunities it offers for learning. In this doctoral thesis, the opportunities that Educational Robotics offers for interdisciplinary learning in the areas of STEM-STEAM Education and 21st century skills will be studied. Additionally, we are going to study how educators should make use of the robotics as a pedagogical resource that goes beyond the teaching of robotics as a subject and extends to all disciplines and skills of the curriculum. This doctoral thesis proposes to further look into the potential opportunities for learning and teaching educational robotics with an ultimate goal putting forward a university training course in the area of Educational Robotics teaching for pre-service primary school teachers.
Open Access publications
- Schina, D., Esteve-González, V., & Usart, M. (2020a). An overview of teacher training programs in educational robotics: characteristics, best practices, and recommendations. Educational Information Technologies. View full-text
- Schina, D., Esteve-González, V., Usart, M., Lázaro-Cantabrana, J.-L., & Gisbert, M. (2020b). The Integration of Sustainable Development Goals in Educational Robotics: A Teacher Education Experience. Sustainability, 12, 10085. View full-text
- Borrull, A., Valls, C., Esteve-González, V., Schina, D., & Vallverdú, M. (2020a). INTROBOT: Diseño e implementación de una propuesta didáctica para introducir la robótica educativa en la formación de maestros de educación infantil. In R. Roig-Vila (Ed.), La docencia en la Enseñanza Superior. Nuevas aportaciones desde la investigación e innovación educativas (pp. 528-538). Octaedro. ISBN 978-84-18348-11-2. View full-text
- Schina, D., Valls-Bautista, C., Borrull-Riera, A. et al. An associational study: preschool teachers' acceptance and self-efficacy towards Educational Robotics in a pre-service teacher training program. Int J Educ Technol High Educ 18, 28 (2021). View full-text.
- PHD THESIS: Teacher Training in Educational Robotics: participants' learning and perceptions.
- European Researchers’ Night 2019: “Stemming girls: Viatge en el temps a través de la robòtica educativa”.
- Université Côte d'Azur, France. 3 months (2021).
Awards & Prizes
- Finalist of the contest "Vols saber què investigo?" 2021.
- Diari Digital de la URV. News: Researchers from the ARGET Group of the URV have developed guidelines on teacher training in robotics and a pilot training program.
- Diari Digital de la URV. News: Doctorands i doctorandes de la URV pugen a l'escenari per parlar de la seva recerca en format monòleg.