DOW/URV Chair of Sustainable Development - URV Summer University
URV Summer University Course Sustainable Development within the Nowadays Demographic Context: Was Malthus Right?
The DOW/URV Chair of Sustainable Development has collaborated on the organization of the URV Summer University Course Sustainable Development within the Nowadays Demographic Context: Was Malthus Right?, which has been coordinated by Dr Joan Alberich, Research Doctor of the URV Geography Department.
The main purpose of this course has been "the creation of a reflection space about the current demographical dynamics and the interrelation with the environmental problems, from both perspectives: the local and the global one. Accordingly, the course content has tried to answer questions as: Is the current demographic growth environmentally sustainable? What kind of policies or correcting measures must be applied? Which are the challenges of the growing urbanization of the space?"
The following speakers have been invited to the course:
- Dr Joan Alberich (URV, General framework of the connection between population and environment)
- Dr Julio Pérez (CSIC, General paper about population)
- Dr Òscar Saladié (URV, General paper about sustainable development)
- Dr Antonio López (CED-UAB, Current dynamics of the world population)
- Mrs Paula Andrea Cifuentes (UPC, Urban population and sustainable development)
- Mr Josep Maria Llop (UdL, Rural population and sustainable development)
- Mr Ole Thorson (Intra, Mobility and sustainable development)
- Dr Francesc González (UOC, Tourism and sustainable development)