Building your research future together.
The International Pre-Award Support Unit (USPIR) was created in February 2019, following the initiative of the Vice-Rectorate for Research and Scientific Planning to strengthen the participation of the research community in international programmes and especially in H2020 and in near future Horizon Europe.
However, the roots of the office go back to 2014, when URV was granted an "Europa Redes y Gestores" project for 3 years, named ICARO (International Cooperative and Innovation Alliances Office), which proposed, for the first time, the creation of a Pre-Award Office, with 2 officers working full time to increase the participation of URV in international calls, with focus on H2020. This was office was a success, obtaining, in its 3 years of running, over 7 M€ in competitive funding, from 30 European projects.
After the end of the ICARO project, URV started the process of designing and creating its own Pre-Award Unit, efforts that culminated in February 2019, with the opening of USPIR. At present, USPIR counts with 7 pre-award officers, 2 of them permanent staff at URV, the others collaborating from outside institutions, and offers support to all 5 areas of research at URV: Arts and Humanities, Sciences, Health Sciences, Social and Legal Sciences and Engineering.
The mission of the USPIR is to proactively support the URV community in international competitive funds for research and institutional-related activities and to offer individualized professional support throughout the pre award life cycle of each funded project. At such, it aims to:
- Generate knowledge within the URV by promoting, assessing and managing its participation in Research programmes.
- Become a highly effective and efficient user oriented team Customer Services Team.
- Offer the best service to our internal and external users.
- Communicate to research groups the significance of our work and the benefits of our activities.
- Provide researchers with greater support so that they can access competitive funds more easily.
- Provide the researchers with greater support so that they can increase the impact of their research results.
- To be recognized by 2020 as for playing a leading international role and being the clear national leader in a several number of thematic areas of research that address the major societal challenges of the 21st century.
- To be in a position to be proactive with the research portfolio.
- Promote the participation of research staff in research programmes, assess them on the financing funding opportunities and guide them on the best possible strategy to follow.
- Follow up and be informed on the university's research lines and scientific production of its research groups.
- Participate actively in writing proposals.
- To supplement the work of the European correspondents of partner institutions, USPIR offers several support tools for the preparation of the projects, put forward in coordination with partner institutions.
- Assess the academic and research staff, and facilitate their participation in research programmes.
- Disseminate and promote calls for projects and staff incorporation by the autonomous, national and European administrations acting as contact person with the financing entities.
- Assess and coordinate the project agents within the research groups' frames by enabling synergy between these and the university's services.
- Encourage URV's participation in large-scale institutional projects.
- To enable the achievement of ambitious strategic objectives in challenging circumstances through careful planning, excellent services and infrastructure, and sound governance and management.