Service Learning Experiences in Degree in Architecture
- Fourth-year courses
- Optional subjects
- Coordinator: Carles Barberà Escoí (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Community organization: Lluis Domènech i Montaner Institute, Reus Town Hall
- Summary: This experience consists in two different activities:
The first is developed with the Lluis Domènech i Montaner Institute, whichhave so old installations that evidence shortage in the energetic efficiency area. Students perform a real practices and, moreover, experiment in first person the actual situation of the public equipment. Their become aware of the importance of work in order to improve the energetic efficiency, and the resultant project will be handed to the center, that will decided whichmeasures wants to applicate. The center will receive an energy audit which, despite its limitations as it is not a professional work, will serve to identify the main problems with regard to the management of energy resources. In this way, we can propose solutions of low economic cost and high energy saving.
In the second activity, the student must diagnose the needs of bicycle transport in the city of Reus and propose different alternatives based on the possibilities of use of municipal facilities, as well as road networks and connection nodes. The students experience the difficulty of promoting measures of sustainable mobility in terms of both cost and habits of citizenship. The recipient of this service is the City of Reus, which will receive some evaluations on the implementation plan of the bicycle that will serve to improve it, thus offering a better service to citizens.
- Coordinator: Sergi Saladié Gil (email@example.com)
- Community organization:
Academic year 2012-13: Delterpa Association, Pinell de Brai City Council.
Academic year 2013-14: Studies Institute of Valls Studies, Save the Long Beach and the forest of La Marquesa Civic Platform, La Canonja 3. People , Landscape, Sustainability Consortium for the preservation of the agricultural landscape.
Academic year 2014-15: Stop Barcelona World Assembly, GEPEC, Association of Residents of Barrio Inmaculada.
- Summary: Students complete the practical component (3 credits) of this course in regions with unique territorial and landscape dynamics. Interacting with territorial agents in each field, students provide strategies for organizing and managing the various landscape components. Their work involves analysing the territory, conducting field work, and preparing proposals for improving landscape quality. Divided into three groups, they work in areas that further develop the experience they gained on previous courses. The first group works with the Pinell de Brai town council in Terra Alta to improve the town's façade and surrounding landscape. The second group works with the Riudecols town council in the Baix Camp to regenerate an old motocross track and investigate how it can best serve the town and its agroforestry environs. And the third group examines the landscape around the southern chemical industrial complex located between the municipalities of Tarragona, La Canonja, Reus and Vila-seca.
- Coordinator: Jordi Sardà Ferran (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Community organization: Association Concealed Spaces
- Summary: The experience is very enriching, since not only surrounds the area of architecture and history, but that also has great importance the direct treatment with people throughout all phases of the activity: management, broadcast... It is a setting in scene of team work where there are people from many areas, origins and different concerns. The student will work, learn and get experiences of all kinds and at the same time they will have much fun. In addition, they will work on a project almost since the initial phase and will have to take advantage of the activity until the end.