Service Learning Experiences in the Double Degree in Infant and Primary Education
- Second-year courses:
- Third-year courses:
- Coordinator: Edward Lockhart (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Community organizations: Public libraries of Tarragona
- Summary: In this course, students prepare a one-hour storytelling session in English at one of the public libraries in the province of Tarragona. In doing so, Tarragona's school children have greater contact with their local library, their use of English extends beyond the confines of the school, and the tasks that they carry out become more real and, therefore, more significant. The stories told during these sessions have an underlying ethical and moral message that transmits important values to the schoolchildren present.
School organization of space, materials and teaching skills
- Coordinator: Mercè Gisbert Cervera (email@example.com)
- Community organization: L'Arrabassada School, Torreforta School and Mossèn Ramon Bergadà School
- Summary: The project aims to improve the practical training of teachers through a strategy of collaboration between the university and schools. On the one hand, the contexts of educational centers are used as real scenarios of training and research and, on the other hand, the university collaborates with them in the creation of didactic material resources, innovative and adjusted to their needs. The improvement of the quality of the training of future teachers is, according to the latest government reports and the scientific literature, to offer more practical training. Combining theory and practice in real work contexts is a key element in training competent teachers. Specifically, we focus on the development of digital competence, which is a transversal competence of the curriculum of future teachers that must be included in the work of different grade materials. At the same time, it is a growing need in the training of teachers who are in schools to which an institutional response must be given.
This experience is developed in conjunction with the Degree in Pedagogy.
- Coordinator: Francesca Segarra Ibáñez (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Community organization: Maria Fortuny school of Reus
- Summary: This project is aimed at mothers and fathers for whom the language of communication and learning at the school is different from the language they use at home. The project seeks to develop these parents' oral competence in the school language. One day a week, in either the morning or the afternoon, the parents are invited to attend conversation groups with scheduled activities that will enable them to practice their spoken command of the language.