Master's Degree in Fermented Beverages- 11th edition
The overall objective of this master's degree is to train students to become researchers and professionals in the field of fermented beverages, especially wine, sparkling wine and beer.
It therefore offers three clear professional specialisations:
- Oenology research: This specialisation train future researchers in the field of oenology and food biotechnology and give students the chance of subsequently studying for a doctoral degree.
- Science and technology of sparkling wines : This specialisation trains future professionals in oenology or viticulture who wish to specialise in the production of sparkling wine, a sector that is widely represented in Catalonia.
- Science and technology of beer: This specialisation trains professionals from different fields (biotechnologists, winemakers, engineers, etc.) in the process of brewing different types of beer on an industrial and artisanal scale.
There is also the option of doing the master without choosing a particularly specialty, a more generic profile. The degree, then, is broad in scope with both research and professional objectives.
This master's degree focuses mainly on basic and applied research in oenology and food biotechnology, as well as the production of fermented beverages, business management, marketing of products and equipment for the sector, laboratory work and communication.
Possible career opportunities:
- R&D departments in public and private research institutions.
- Applied research, consultancy and intervention in the field of oenology and biotechnology
- Laboratory analysis of food.
- Teaching at various levels.
- Production of sparkling wines.
- Viticulture for the production of sparkling wines.
- Consultancy on viticulture and oenology for sparkling wines.
- Beer brewing.
- Consultancy in the wine and beer industry.
- Marketing of fermented beverages and equipment for the sector.
- Doctoral studies.
|Master's Degree in Fermented Beverages|
|Duration||60 ECTS credits - 1 year|
|Specializations||The master's degree includes three possible specialisations:
|Timetable||Morning and afternoon sessions from Monday to Friday|
|Mobility||The students of this master's degree have the opportunity to go on a research visit for the master's thesis in European universities with which the URV has a bilateral agreement. For the research track we have a double degree agreement with the University of Bordeaux.|
|Work placement||Work placement, which accounts for 9 ECTS credits, is compulsory and it is done during the second semester. The work placement may be in a wine company (for the sparkling wines track) in a brewery (for the beer brewing track) or in a research laboratory at the URV, a research centre, or an oenology or biotechnology company that carries out R&D (for the research track).
Students can propose a place for the work placement themselves or choose one that matches their professional interests from those offered by the tutor of the master's degree.
The aim of the work placement is to enable students to put into practice the knowledge they have acquired in their academic training, thus preparing them for professional practice and facilitating their transition into work.
At the end of the work placement, students must submit a written report describing all the work done.
|Language of instruction||Spanish: 80%
|Associated doctoral programme||Oenology and Biotechnology|
|Course date||From beginning October 2016 to end of June 2017|
|Master's degree thesis||June or September|
|Academic coordinator||Dr. Nicolas Rozès|
|Coordinator's email address||nicolasrozes(ELIMINAR)@urv.cat|
|Administrative contact||Secretary's Office of the Faculty of Oenology
977 558 684
|Master's degree website||http://www.begudes-fermentades.master.urv.cat/es_index/|
|Specific grants for this master's degree||
A minimum of 3 teaching assistant grants will be awarded for students on this programme.