BRDI - List of grants - 2010
Resolution of 04/05/2010 of the Vice-rector for Research and Health Institutions and President of the delegated Research and Transfer Commission, which offers grants for the Trainee Research Personnel Programme that is funded through R+D+I projects.
The Rovira i Virgili University (URV) is an institution that provides the public service of higher education and research through teaching, research and extramural activities.
The execution of these functions in the field of research means training third cycle students by means of doctoral programmes and the writing of doctoral theses.
The URV thus aims to achieve its objectives by creating a grant programme to encourage future doctors to train. This programme will:
- Qualitatively and quantitatively increase the URV's human and economic resources for predoctoral training, research and teaching;
- Strengthen the doctoral programmes;
- Promote the writing of doctoral theses in the URV's departments;
- Complement the training of doctoral students within the frame of R+D+I projects carried out by the URV's research groups.
The delegated Research and Transfer Commission is responsible for implementing the procedure established by this resolution and for the resolutions announcing to whom the grants have been awarded.
This process will be governed by the relevant regulations and, more generally, by the:
- Statute of the Rovira i Virgili University
- Trainee Research Personnel Programme
1. The grants on offer are listed in annex 1 of these conditions and will be linked to the specified area of knowledge and Department, in the frame of the Trainee Research Personnel Programme that is funded through URV administered R+D+I projects or through the URV Foundation.
2. The grantholders will carry out full time research and teaching activities. Their principal obligation will be to write a doctoral thesis at the Rovira i Virgili University. Nevertheless, the Departmental Council may assign grantholders to collaborate in no more than 6 credits' worth of teaching activities a year, with the agreement of the R+D+I project's principal researcher.
3. Requirement: The applicant must have the necessary academic training to be admitted directly to the doctoral course, or be enrolled on an official master at the URV in order to conclude the necessary studies to be able to enrol on the doctoral thesis within one year.
4.1. Duration: The grant will be awarded for 12 months starting on the date specified in the resolution confirming the award of the grant. If the grantholder wishes to modify the conditions of the grant, interrupt, take temporary leave or renounce the grant, then he/she must obtain prior authorization from the Vice-rector for Research and Health Institutions and a report from the principal researcher of the R+D+I project. The Vice-rector of Research and Health Institutions will review this report before approving or rejecting the grantholder's request.
4.2. On receipt of a report from the principal researcher of the R+D+I project, the Vice-rector for Research and Health Institutions will pass a resolution renewing the grants successively for the same period up to a maximum of 48 months. In all cases, grants will only be renewed providing the research group to which the principal researcher is affiliated can guarantee funding from an R+D+I project or from any of other source of funds available to the research group, these funds being principally reserved for this end.
4.3. After the second year, the grantholder must have obtained the Diploma of Advanced Studies or the administrative document that substitutes it.
4.4. Any other grants that are equivalent in terms of their amount, selection process and general characteristics will be discounted from the total amount of this grant.
5. During the first year the grants will be paid in twelve monthly instalments of 979.79 €. Grantholders will be exempt from the URV's official academic fees for master's, and if appropriate, doctoral studies.
6. Those candidates who meet the necessary conditions to apply for one of the grants must present the following documentation:
- An application form duly completed in accordance with the electronic format (/recerca_innovacio/programes/urv/brdi/index.html) and addressed to the President of the delegated Research and Transfer Commission (annex II).
- An attested photocopy of the candidate's tax identification number.
- An attested photocopy of the candidate's official academic certificate or official training qualification.
- An attested photocopy of the applicant's enrolment form for a doctoral programme at the URV or an attested photocopy of a written commitment to enroll in such a programme, signed by the interested party and principal researcher of the R+D+I project.
- A document from the coordinator of the URV's official master's programme accrediting that the candidate will eligible to be admitted to the doctoral programme within one year.
- The candidate's curriculum vitae.
7. Period for presenting applications: 30 June 2010. Applications must be presented at the URV's Research Management Service (Av. Països Catalans 5, 7-43007, Tarragona)
8. Once the delegated Research and Transfer Commission has verified the selection process, it will conclude the competition within a maximum of four months starting from the day after it issued the resolution specifying who has been awarded a grant. The resolution specifying who has been awarded a grant will be published on the university's notice board (carrer de l’Escorxador, s/n, 43003 Tarragona) and on the website , and the awardees will be notified.
9. An administrative appeal can be filed against this resolution (which terminates the administrative proceedings) to the Administrative Court in Tarragona, within two months, counting from the day after receiving notification, as can an optional appeal to the University' Governing Council within one month of the day after receiving notification, in accordance with article 117 of Law 30/92, which will pass a resolution on the basis of the report of the delegated Research and Transfer Commission.
10. This grant is incompatible with any other grant, wage or salary which involves a similar contractual relationship or activities that may prevent the grantholder from dedicating himself/herself exclusively to the tasks for which he/she has been awarded the grant by the delegated Research and Transfer Commission.
11. The awarding of this grant by the Rovira i Virgili University does not establish any contractual or statutory relationship between the Rovira i Virgili University and the grantholder, and does not imply any kind of commitment on the part of the Rovira i Virgili University to subsequently make the grantholder a member of the university's staff.