Web 2.0 tools
This site enables you to interact with other people who want to learn languages using Google's Hangout. You can set up free open conversation groups and, for a small cost, attend classes on a wide range of topics. The site also includes a personalised tutorial service for which you must also pay a fee. Even so, after registering you will have seven days in which to attend any classes you like.
- Open a Verbling account (Sign up). You will be asked for your name, email address and password. Then click on Sign up. You will be sent a confirmation message and you must follow the instructions you are given to complete the process.
- Once you have registered, you have to click on the button Log in whenever you want to enter the website.
- When you have entered, you have to choose one of three options: Classes, Tutoring and Community.
- In the Classes section, you can follow the class but not take part without having to pay. If you wish to take part, however, you have to pay the fee stipulated.
- In the Tutoring section, you can make an appointment with a tutor for a private class adapted to your needs. This option also has a cost.
Finally, in the Community section, which is like a language-learning social network, you can find a language partner (Find practice partners) or conversation groups (Practice groups), which are completely free. This is the option that we recommend initially so that you can practise the language you want and offer a language to help other people in the network. People usually connect by the Google Hangout videoconferencing tool.
This tool allows you to record audios (interviews, oral presentations, stories), share them or leave them for later. You can download the application on your mobile or use the recording buttons on the website as soon as you have created your account. You can also post files recorded with other tools. In the free version, you have a limit of three minutes to update and extend the application. As well as a voice recorder, it is also a social network so you can follow other participants and their boos or synchronize it with Facebook or Twitter.
- Open an Audioboo account (Sign up). You will be asked for your name, email address and password. Then click on Join Audioboo, or Login if you already have an account.
- You will be given the option of recording a new sound or posting a folder.
- To record the sound, all you have to do is click on the button Restart/Start Recording. To stop, click on Pause Recording. To restart the recording, click on Resume Recording. To listen to it before sharing or saving the file, click on Preview Recording.
- When you are happy with the results, go to the button Happy? Add a title. Here you can add a title, a description, the category to which it belongs, an image or even specify a location (Map).
- Finally, you can publish your recording by clicking on Publish, and you will be given the chance of entering your account.
With Fotobabble you can add voice (60 seconds) to an image, a photograph or a slideshow. You can access the free version in the section Fotobabble for Fun!
- You can register using your Facebook account. If you don't have one, you will only be asked for your user name, password and email. Then click on Sign Up.
- You will then be asked to select an image that you want to talk about. It may be an image on your computer or Facebook, or you can enter the URL of an image you wish to use.
- When you have posted the image, click on the button Create.
- Now click on Record to add the audio to the image. You can also personalise your Fotobabble by choosing a topic, giving it a title or label, etc.
This tool is useful for creating animated videos with your voice or a voice you have obtained using text-to-speech software. It can be used to make entertaining class presentations, to present a product or to video a tutorial.
- Enter your email address, user name and password to set up an account (Sign Up).
- When you have entered the site, you can make a quick video using some standard templates (Select a video template) or make a completely customised video from scratch (Make a video from scratch).
- When you have finished creating the video, you can preview it (Preview).
- When you are happy with the result, click on Save now, decide on a title and description, and publish the video (Publish). There are various publication options: you can export it in MP4 format or to Youtube (this option is only available to premium users); you can publish it on Facebook or on a Google account; or you can share a link to Twitter, among other networks.
This tool allows you to add voice to a series of photographs or images (for example, a PowerPoint presentation). At first you will only be able to create five "Narrables" for free, but you can upgrade your user page to be able to create more.
- First create an account by clicking on Sign up/Sign in.
- Now click on Get started.
- You must first post one or several images to initiate the presentation. You can add more later if you wish. You can choose to use one of them as the front cover.
- When you have posted the photographs, click on the button Save.
- Click on the right icon (following). If you want to include the audio description, you have to click on the loudspeaker button, which gives you the option of posting an audio file from your computer or recording it online. If you have to add more images, click on "+".
- When you have finished the presentation you can view it by clicking on Play and share it by clicking on Share.
PresentMe can be used to record oral presentations for work, educational or personal reasons. There is a free version, with which you can create up to 10 presentations a month. However, the free version does not allow you to post videos or audios that you have saved in your computer. You will have to record them at the same time as you create the Present.me.
- Go to Login and select the option Signup if you haven't registered yet if you do not already have an account.
- Now click on Sign Up Now to enter the free version and choose a Facebook or Google account, or your email address to register.
- When you have registered, you will be given the option of creating slides with video, slides with audio, slides by themselves or only video.
- Now you will be asked to select a file of slides from your computer (ppt, pdf and Google Docs). If you have decided to make a video or audio you will have to record it now too. The last step is to click on End & Review when you have completed the recording
- You can add extra information to your presentation (for example, the category or the description). Click on Save when you have finished.
With Vocaroo you can record your voice or post a sound file that you have recorded. You do not have to set up an account and it is easy to access and use.
- The home page gives you the option of recording your voice directly or posting a sound file.
- When you are happy with the message you have recorded, go to Click here to save to save the recording.
- Then you can share your recording on the social networks or download the file in mp3 or WAV.
With Voki you can create personalised avatars to which you can add your voice to express yourself, communicate and interact with your contacts. You can also choose the option VokiClassroom with which you can interact with people working in education and use a wide range of learning resources.
- Click on Get Voki and enter the information required. You will be sent a confirmation message with an activation link to your email.
- Once you have entered, go to the tab Create and choose the physical characteristics of your avatar (Customize Your Character). When you are happy, click on Done.
- Now, in the section Give it a Voice you can choose how you want to give it a voice: phoning the voice recorder on the number you are given; typing in the text and subsequently converting it into a sound file; recording your voice online (up to 60 seconds); or posting a file from your computer.
- When you have finished, click on the button Publish to save everything.
- You can copy the URL of your Voki and share it on the social networks you use.
You can use this website to set up conversation groups for debating specific topics using online voice message chains. The recordings of the participants are published chronologically so it is a good tool for doing collaborative activities and expressing opinions. Each of the conversations has its own URL address and, therefore, they can be shared using email or on the social networks with no difficulty. All you have to do is copy them.
- Set up an account by clicking on Sign up, Join in!
- Before you record your introduction or create a conversation group, you have the option of trying it out to see how it works. Click on the icon that appears if you wish to try it out and go to Join this talkgroup.
- To create your own group (with classmates, friends, family, etc.), go to the tab at the top of the screen Start a Talkgroup and fill in the form (name of the group; type of group; topic of discussion; public, restricted or private access, etc.) and click on the option Create my Talkgroup.
- Then go to Record a new discussion to start a topic of conversation for the group with the buttons Rec, Play and Stop, create a title, add a short text, etc.
- Finally, go back to your group's site and click on Invite others to join to send invitations by copying the URL address from the toolbar, or Share to share it on the social networks.
With this tool you can describe a place you have visited, locate it on a map to create routes and audio guides from your "echoes" (audio clips), and comment on and assess the echoes of other participants. You can also set up groups with your friends.
- Go to Join, fill in the information you are asked for and click on the button Create account.
- Go to the menu Create and then click on Record or upload a new echo to make a new echo.
- You will first be asked to locate your echo on the map as precisely as possible. Then click on Proceed.
- In the second step, you will be asked to give your echo a title and describe it. You must also state the language in which your echo is recorded and, if you want, you can add a label.
- When you have filled in the information, decide if you want to record the voice (Record now!) or if you prefer to post a file that you already have on your hard disk (Upload echo).
- To record, you have to click on the button REC and, when you have finished, click on Send it! to post. Each echo can only last for 10 minutes at most, but you can record as many as you like.